About the X-15 Rocket Plane:
In a joint project between NASA and the United States Air Force, the X-15 program was intended to provide high speed flight research. Much of this research was used in the design of both modern-day fighter jets and by the American space program in building its spacecraft. Data collected helped NASA build better launch vehicles in programs ranging from Mercury to the Space Shuttle.
The X-15 project lasted nearly ten years. In this time, 199 flight missions were conducted. Due to the high fuel consumption during the test flights, the X-15 was launched from a “mothership”, which was a B-52. The rocket plane deployed when the B-52 reached 500 mph and the X-15 burned its engines for 80-120 seconds, propelling the craft to extremely high speeds and altitudes. The X-15 holds the unofficial records for both speed and altitude: 4,520 mph (Mach 6.7) and 354,200 feet.
- Crew: 1
- Engine: Thiokol XLR-99 throttleable rocket
- Fuel: anhydrous ammonia and liquid oxygen
- Speed: 4,520 mph (7,274 km/h)
Additional information about this Brickmania custom building kit:
The X-15 Rocket Plane kit comes with the following features
- Deployable airbrakes
- Retractable landing gear
- Opening canopy
- Towing equipment
- Printed elements
- High-quality sticker sheet
- Designed by Yitzy Kasowitz
- Includes 467 genuine new-condition LEGO® & BrickArms elements
- 1/35 scale to match other Brickmania models
- Intermediate Skill Level (4-6 years of experience with LEGO is recommended)
All Brickmania model kits are made of new-condition LEGO bricks. This model comes disassembled and includes complete printed building instructions and comes packaged in a sealed box. This is a limited-edition kit and production may be discontinued at any time.