About the P-38L Lightning:
The P-38 Lighting, nicknamed the “Fork-Tailed Devil” by the Germans, was developed from 1941-1945 as an American piston-engined fighter aircraft. The Lightning is most famous for the air battles over the Pacific. An estimated 10,038 P-38 Lightnings were produced during WWII, with at least 4,000 being the P-38L model. The twin-boom design was a major change from most military-minded aircraft in the skies at the time, making the Lightning very unique.
The P-38L Lightning was the most produced variant and entered service in June 1944. This was just in time to support the Allied invasion of France on D-Day. The “L” variant was the first Lightning fitted with zero-length rocket launchers. Later models were delivered unpainted as per USAAF policy established in 1944. In addition, there was a major modification to the cockpit heating system, where the pilot could now plug his heat-suit wire for improved comfort.
- Crew: 1
- Powerplant: 2 x Allison V-1710-111/113 V-12 piston engine
- Maximum speed: 414 mph
- Cruise speed: 275 mph
- Range: 1,300 mi
- Armament: 1 x Hispano M2(C) 20 mm cannon with 150 rounds; 4 x M2 Browning machine gun 0.50 in machine guns with 500 rpg; 4 x M10 three-tube 4.5 in rocket launchers
Additional information about this Brickmania custom building kit:
The P-38L Lightning kit comes with the following features:
- Authentically built to Putt Putt Maru likeness
- Custom-printed pilot designed by Lando
- Custom-printed elements
- Retractable landing gear
- Drop tanks included
- Full-color vinyl sticker sheet
- 1/35 scale to match other Brickmania models
- Designed by Cody Osell
- Includes 904 genuine new-condition LEGO® elements
- Advanced Skill Level (6-8 years of experience with LEGO is recommended)
All Brickmania model kits are made of new-condition LEGO bricks. This model comes disassembled and includes complete printed building instructions and comes packaged in a sealed box. This is a limited edition kit and production may be discontinued at any time.